Friday, August 24

Hairstylist Interview: Moulay NYC


Moulay is a high profile hairstylist making a wave in the New York salon scene! Having styled the likes of Gwen Stefani, Moulay is shear genius! So we had an insider interview with Moulay to get the scoop on his career, the styling tips and how to choose the right hair stylist. Enjoy! http://www.moulaynyc.com/


1. When did you first realize that you wanted to be a hairstylist? I modeled as a teenager living in Paris and saw the beautiful hair styles being created backstage. I was inspired to do it myself.


2. How did you get your start in the industry? I started as an apprentice at Alexandre in Paris, but things really started to happen for me when I came to New York and got a job working as Jonathan Sahag's assistant.


3. What career moves did you make to get your current positions as NYC’s premier hairstylist? I pushed myself, everywhere I worked, to continue learning from the best stylists and perfecting my techniques. At Sahag I learned the dry-cutting technique that Jon was famous for; at Bumble & Bumble I perfected my razoring technique. I was recognized for my talent and sent to represent Bumble & Bumble in Paris, and there continued to take inspiration from that beautiful city and its culture of art and fashion. That positioned me well upon my return to New York to take on the role of Artistic Director at Lush salon. Lush unfortunately closed its doors shortly after September 11, 2001--it was located in Tribeca--but I was quickly picked up by Prive Salon in Soho. Now, as I open my own salon, all of these experiences have prepared me well to realize my vision and create a beautiful environment where each client will enjoy exceptional service and achieve a look that helps them to achieve their best image.


4. Do you or did you ever have a famous hairstylist you admired? There are many--Sahag of course. I also admire Michael Gordon, founder of Bumble & Bumble, for the incredible company he built. There are others who are simply artists--Odile Gilbert for example.


5. What do you think sets you apart from other stylist? Well, of course my skills, but really I think it's my philosophy--I believe that everyone has a unique beauty that can be enhanced by the right hairstyle. Anyone who sits in my chair receives 100% of my focus, and knows that they will leave with a look that suits their hair type, their face shape, their lifestyle.


6. You have styled Gwen Stefani, Uma Thurman, as well as other celebrities. During your experience styling for celebs, who did you have most fun styling for? Celebrities are fun to work with because they have interesting lives and are fun to talk to--most of them are pretty down-to-earth. I really don't have a favorite.


7. What are the most common mistakes women make with their hair? The most common mistake is trying for a hairstyle that really doesn't work for one's hair type, bone structure, or lifestyle. It's great to bring pictures to your stylist so that he can get a sense of the image you are going for, but work with the stylist to adapt the look for you.


8. What steps should women follow when choosing or switching hairstylist? First, find a stylist that will listen to you, and will work with you to help you achieve the look you are going for. Personality fit is really important. Switching hairstylist happens all the time--if you are switching stylists but staying at the same salon, be honest. Tell the stylist you love his work, but want to try something new.


9. What is the most important thing every woman should do for their hair? Take care of your hair like you take care of any other part of your body. Regular conditioning is a must to keep hair healthy, soft, and easy to manage.


10. What do you hope to accomplish within the next few years as you continue your profession? My focus right now is on realizing my vision with the opening of my salon--a beautiful, peaceful place where clients can come to relax, enjoy their treatment, and leave feeling great about themselves.

1 comment:

Susana Rodrigues said...

I didnt know him, but thanks to you I do now :)
Cool interview!
***
Su