Friday, September 7

With Love, Mimi

Tarun Tahiliani

Hi fashionistas,

Happy Fashion Week. The tents are up in Bryant Park and also in Delhi. I hate to say this, but India fashion week just confuses and disappoints me. I'll be honest. At first the hoopla of it all was so exciting. The whole fashion scene was becoming in India. No one paid attention (or wanted to pay attention) to the clothes back then because of the star studded front rows and the glitzy after parties. But now, with international buyers, editors and creative directors attending these events and taking note the world is starting to realize that it's just not that fabulous. Yet.



Okay so I'll give credit to a few Indian designers who really know what they're doing. Designers you should take note of include Tarun Tahiliani, Malini Rawani and Manish Arora. Manish who you already know from the London runways will be showing in Paris starting next Spring I believe. In any case I'll tell you why I just adore these designers. It's because they've actually mastered the art of taking rich Indian heritage and incorporating it into a wearable garment that is both functional and ascetically pleasing.

This confuses me -Tahiliani Show
I feel as if the younger and less experienced designers are trying way too hard to be "westernized." I know for a fact that although India didn't have many fashion movements in the past it's the right time to take a stand and get innovative. Oh and also a touch of inspiration would help as well.

No comments: