Tuesday, January 29

Interview with photographer Fulvio Maiani





I recently met up with a good friend of mine, Fulvio the Great, but you may know him as Fulvio Maiani. As an admirably humble fashion Photographer, he’s not one for extravagant titles and honorees. His only joy is the intrigued face that follows a glimpse of his masterpieces.

How long have you been a photographer?
Since I was about 4 years old, but I started as a professional at 18


What was your first job?
I actually started shooting in the music industry. I shot for people such as David Bowie and The Cure. I later on turned to fashion. I felt much more freedom in that field.


Who or what inspires you?
No. No one in particular because everything is inspirational. I don’t really have any favourite photographers but there are times when I admire some work. Sometimes the most important thing in getting a good picture is the emotions. From the model and the location. Sometimes I wake up and I know it will be a good day but I don’t know why and sure enough it is a good day. Things just come together.


What sets you apart from other Photographers?
To be honest, I never wish to be above anyone or consider myself too great. I don’t like to envy anyone. I’m just happy when people look at my work and say that its good. I don’t even own a camera. I hire equipment when I need it so that I can always be up to date with technology.


So would you say you are big into technology?
Ha ha. No I’m not a technology freak. I don’t even have a studio and don’t require one. The world is my studio. Don’t get me wrong, I think that the digital world is much more easier than analogue. Things like Photoshop allow people to be individual and that’s good. Many rely on getting the best equipment, but its not the tools that make a good picture, it’s the hands that use it that makes the difference. Just like a gun. On its own, its no problem, but in the wrong hands its dangerous.


What was your favourite shoot?
My next shoot is the best one


What are your plans for the future?
My plan is to get better, not for ranking sake but for myself. It’s like a mountain. I want to keep climbing till I reach the top. Even if I don’t get there, I want to keep going and keep pointing up.


If you could shoot anyone in any location, who and where would it be?
I like the challenge that I don’t know where my next shoot will be. It’s funny because when you plan and dream of the best place to shoot, it never will come, but when your not thinking about it, then it comes. Every city has potential. There is nowhere in the world that cant take good pictures. I like to take pictures in the places where it doesn’t look like it would be good.


What 3 tips can you give to aspiring photographers?
Always be creative
Train to look and memorize for great shots
Keep knocking. No one will call you unless you call them first.

See more of Mr. Maiani's fabulous work here.

No comments: