Monday, April 5

The Haute New Bakery COCOMAYA Via London

I have the world's biggest sweet tooth. I will skip dinner for a box of Turkish delight anytime and if I were to only have one food for the rest of my life it would be ice cream! Hence I am always on the look out for new bakeries to indulge in my favorite treats from Sweet Revenge to Sweetie Pie I frequent dessert bars in New York City but last week I was introduced to the fashionable new bakery and chocolate shop CocoMaya via the fashion bible WWD. The only catch? It's in London! I guess I will have to renew my passport and hop across the pond ASAP. Link to original post via WWD.
"Cocomaya, London’s new chocolate shop-bakery-cafe, is a clear study of what can happen when fashion types go into the catering business. Manolo Blahnik ends up with chocolate court shoes for a press day, Lulu Guinness gets cocoa lips for its pop-up shop, and otherwise-average chocolate truffles are embellished with the flavors of cardamom, saffron and passion fruit. For Easter, Cocomaya is selling white chocolate eggs inspired by the rock band Kiss (red and blue lips and eye makeup have been hand-painted and sprayed on with a cocoa butter gun), and metallic eggs adorned with medallions, roses and daisies. Much like a designer brand, the entire operation is run on a specific schedule.
“We do things seasonally,” explains Joel Bernstein, a former head of concept at Liberty who owns Cocomaya with accessories designer Walid Al Damirji and Agent Provocateur co-founder Serena Rees. “We don’t really see it as just plain food. The visual element is really important to us.” That much is evident in their chocolate shop, a witty spot drenched in a palette of vivid fuchsias and limes located in London’s Connaught Village, between Marylebone, Notting Hill and Mayfair. One could easily imagine the Mad Hatter setting up a tea party here among Al Damirji’s eclectic antique finds." Read More.

Cocomaya
12 Connaught Street
London, W2 2HG
0207 062 770;

Copyright ©2009 Haute Mimi International LLC. All rights reserved.

No comments: